1. PMdc motor (categorized under separately excited dc motor)
2. Series dc motor
3. shunt dc motor
4. Compound dc motor
1. Permanent dc motor offers excellent starting torque and good speed regulation. However it don’t support high load.
So pmdc used in low hp loads where constant speed is required.
2. Series dc motor offers high starting torque but poor speed regulation. Speed of series dc motor varies from No load to Full load. So it can’t be used in variable load conditions.
For constant load it offers balanced speed, so where high starting torque needed it can be used. It is a variable speed motor i.e. very low speed at high torqe and vice versa.
Its high starting torque makes it particularly suitable for a wide range of traction applications.
Industrial uses are hoists, cranes, trolly cars, conveyors, elevators, air compressors, vacuum cleaners, sewing machines etc.
3. shunt dc motor offers excellent speed regulations.
The various applications of DC shunt motor are in Lathe Machines, Centrifugal Pumps, Fans, Blowers, Conveyors, Lifts, Weaving Machine, Spinning machines, etc.
4. Compound dc motor offers high starting torque as well as constant speed.
The compound are used where higher starting torque and fairly constant speed is required.