How to lower speed of a DC 5V motor ?

Forums Electronics How to lower speed of a DC 5V motor ?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Kiran Daware Kiran Daware 2 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Shashi
    0 votes

I have a 5V DC motor and I connected it to a Raspberry Pi – Model B and energized with a signal. It runs – but the speed is too much for any of my ideas.
    Its nice to see it run -but I want to be able to control the speed to say just move it 1/2 a rotation, or a quarter of a rotation, or move it slowly like an Ant. ! things like that.
    I do NOT know the rating of the motor, and it is powered by L293D and the enable pin is controlled by a Raspberry Pi.

Any help would be appreciated.
    A diagram of how to place the Pot – would help.
    The project is listed in this web site:
    http://www.rhydolabz.com/wiki/?p=11288#comment-31535
    So, if you can tell me – how to place the Pot – would help. I have a 5K and a 10K pot with me -which I bought yesterday from the store.

votes +2
    Profile photo of Kiran Daware
    Kiran Daware
    Keymaster
    26 votes
    Query Resolver

If you want the motor just to move a definite rotation, up to 180° or 270°, you need to use a servo motor instead of a regular DC motor. You can program your raspberry pi for a particular movement angle of the connected servo motor. Here is a reference link for that.

A pot will help you just in reducing the speed of the regular dc motor, but not in moving it only a definite rotation.  One way to achieve it with a normal dc motor is programming your raspberry to give that particular enable signal for a specific time.

How to connect a pot to a dc motor for reducing the speed?

A commonly available potentiometer has three leads.

• Connect any of the outer leads (either the leftmost or the rightmost) to the positive terminal of supply.
    • Then connect the middle lead of the pot to the positive terminal of the motor.
    • And connect the negative terminal of the supply directly to the negative terminal of the motor.

Now, you can reduce the speed by varying the pot.

If you achieve the required speed, you can now program your raspberry to give that enable signal only for a time that will make the desired movement only.

It's only fair to share... ;)Share on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedIn
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

It's only fair to share... ;)Share on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedIn