Dead DC Generator

Forums Common electrical queries Dead DC Generator

Tagged: 

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Kiran Daware Kiran Daware 11 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Curt Young
    Curt Young
    Participant
    0 votes

I have an old (70-80’s ?) Goodall Startall model #11-716. Powered by a Kohler 16 h.p. single cylinder engine, the machine is manufactured to jump start 12/24 volt vehicle batteries. The unit is in a truck which I recently purchased. The truck was previously owned by a utility company, and used as their fleet service vehicle.

I have been successful in getting the engine to run quite well, but the generator portion provides zero voltage. The generator is comprised of four separate, old style automobile generators. In addition, there are two solenoids ¬†two resistors, and two, three position switches. ¬†These switches allow for regulated voltage /off/ full voltage. Information is hard to come by on this machine, and I’ve used my limited knowledge and testing abilities to come to the following conclusions.The solenoids, resistors, and switches, all test out to be good. That leaves…..field voltage, which none is present.

Anyone willing to help me here, will surely be granted a Crown of Magnetized Excitation.

Thanks.

#1007 Reply
    Profile photo of Kiran Daware
    Kiran Daware
    Keymaster
    26 votes
    Query Resolver

If the generator output is zero even when the armature is running, the possible cause could be in the armature or field winding. If you the field voltage is absent, what kind of generator it is, a self-excited or separately excited? If it is self-excited, dismantle the generator and check out its field winding, whether it has been burnt out or connection terminals are disconnected. If it’s separately excited , check out the source that supplies the field winding.

It's fair to share ... Share on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedIn
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Reply To: Dead DC Generator
Your information: